Saturday, January 17, 2009

Living Out the True Meaning of Our Creed

I'll admit, I didn't vote for Obama, as I don't see him standing on the right side of the abortion issue. But there is one thing that does bring joy to my heart this week. Having grown up in the south, much of that time in racially divided towns, I grew up with my own minor demons to deal with. To this day, I have to work hard to not see people through the lens of race.
But as I look at this milestone in our nations history, I feel a joyful contentment. Our children will grow up in a land where truly anyone (any man at least) can become president. Amazing. I grew up knowing that THAT top rung of the ladder was always there; not that I ever expected to climb that high myself, but I always knew there was no ceiling imposed on my ambitions. And yet all my childhood, I also knew that the other half of the population, those who didn't have my skin color, did not have such an opportunity. Sure, technically, legally, anyone could become president, but the facts on the ground spoke something different. And now, for the first time, the playing field has become level.
That makes such a huge difference for young men growing up - to know that anything is truly possible. Although Obama is a flawed man, like the rest of us, this milestone brings a change for everyone. Our nation will not be the same, and I believe we will be a better people for this.

No comments: