Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I am reading through John Eldredge's book "The Way of the Wild Heart", and the farther I get into it, the more it grabs a hold of my soul. Extending on his book "Wild at Heart", Eldredge digs farther into the male heart, laying it all out bare as I've never seen before. He writes to fathers learning how to lead their sons into classic manhood, at the same time explaining how to find for ourselves the manhood that so few of us were led into. It's an fascinating topic, that completely shatters the visage of overgrown Peter Pan boys you see on TV, and that we are so readily led to believe.

I just finished a chapter talking about the "Vision Quest" year he led his 13-year-old son through, a time of growth and initiation into manhood, ending with a ceremony. The ceremony, like the year leading up to it, involves a group of men, close friends, with whom the boy has seen adventure and learned lessons of true manhood, speaking encouragement and conviction into his heart & soul.

His narrative just thrills my soul, as I think of the adventure to come with raising my own son, pouring into his life and teaching him what manhood is about. This concept, of intentionally teaching your son about manhood, is something I never had growing up, and wish I had learned years ago. But I am so excited to be learning about this while Josh is still young. So much to learn, so much to do. The adventure of life just keeps getting better.

One common thread through this, which rings true with the lessons I've had to learn the hard way, is that good parenting is more about investing, than molding. Invest in the child, pour into them, rather than focusing on just behavior or forcing them into a mold of what you envision. God's vision is so much bigger than ours.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So does Eldridge ever say if he's an open-theist in the second book?

I know in the first book he made some pretty questionable points about God's sovereignty.

"God's relationship with us and with our world is just that: a relationship. As with every relationship, there's a certain amount of unpredictability, and the ever-present likelihood that you'll get hurt. The ultimate risk anyone ever takes is to love...but God does give it, again and again and again, until he is literally bleeding from it all. God's willingness to risk is just astounding..." (p.32)

Wayne said...

Personally, I believe that God is soveriegn and has total foresight. More than that, I subscribe to the notion that God exists outside of time, that "time" is an index of convenience he uses in this great lab experiment he calls "humanity". But I do not have any Bible verses to back that up right now, so that is pretty much belief & speculation.

So I would not use the wording that John Eldredge uses in that quote. Without defending the man too blindly, I would submit that this quote does not exactly make him a Jeffersonian theist. I think he has a lot of great insight into the male species, tries to point men back to God, and has much to share.
Is everything he writes perfect? Nah. I have my own qualms with his first book. I read through his first book while serving as my wife's caregiver through cancer, and his call for men to follow after their heart's call to adventure just left me feeling dazed & confused. But looking back now, I realize that those WERE my "warrior years", the time when I had to stand and fight, no matter how ugly the fight became. And so, I do appreciate his writings. I think John Eldredge has a lot to offer, and I do encourage other men to read his books; along with, of course, the warning that John, like me, is a fallen man, and subject to flaws.